Friday - July 10, 2009

From: San Antonio, TX
Topic: Pruning, Shrubs
Title: Trimming dead blooms from turkscap in San Antonio

Great answer to the Turk's Plant question. But, I can't seem to find an answer to mine. I've had Turk's plants for years and cut them back as you suggest, but have always been confused about what to do with the dead blooms. Pinch them back? Let them be? Thanks.

We're not sure which previous answer on Malvaviscus arboreus (wax mallow) you are referring to, but we're glad you liked it. Our experience with Turk's Cap is that you almost can't trim it back enough. We would recommend nipping off dead blooms down to the first set of leaves. If it's going to bloom again, it will be from that cut, putting out new branches. 

Malvaviscus arboreus