Mr. Smarty Plants - Getting rid of Adams needle (Yucca filamentosa)

Wednesday - June 24, 2009

From: Lawrenceburg, KY
Topic: Problem Plants, Cacti and Succulents
Title: Getting rid of Adams needle (Yucca filamentosa)

QUESTION:

My friend is changing her flower beds around and is wanting to eliminate an Adam's needle that has been there for several years. She has already dug it up and now is trying to get rid of all the new shoots coming back up in the new flowers planted. My question is would brushing the new shoots with round-up kill them ? Any suggestion on this would be very helpful. Thank you for your time.

ANSWER:

Yes, I feel certain it would.  Clipping the tip of the shoot before applying the herbicide should help it find its way more quickly to the roots. Please be sure to read and follow carefully the safety instructions on the label of the herbicide.  Also, be careful not to get the herbicide on any plants you want to preserve.