Mr. Smarty Plants - Juncus effusus Twister question

Sunday - June 07, 2009

From: Edmonton, AB
Region: Canada
Title: Juncus effusus Twister question

QUESTION:

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I bought a Juncus Effusus,"Twister", and was wondering if it can be brought in the house during winter as a house plant or is it just an annual that will die in the fall? It doesn't state if it is perennial or not. Also is it at all poisonous, I have cats that would probably try to nibble on it.

ANSWER:

Juncus effusus 'Twister' is a cultivar of our native Juncus effusus (common rush) and is a perennial.   Mr. Smarty Plants refers you to the answer to a previous question about this plant.  Its native range includes British Columbia—but not Alberta—so perhaps you should bring it in during the winter.  It is NOT listed on the following toxic plant databases so I would assume it would be safe for your cats:

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina

Cornell University Plants Poisonous to Livestock

Toxic Plants of Texas 

University of Pennsylvania Poisonous Plants

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

ASPCA list of Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants for Cats