Saturday - May 23, 2009

From: Ramona, CA
Title: Plant identification.
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

Looking for the name of a green, bamboo-like plant with narrow leaves. Have no pictures.

Mr. Smarty Plants can't think of any native plants that fit your description, but can think of a few non-native plants that do.  Chamaedorea seifrizii (Bamboo palm) is a native of Mexico and Central America.  Here are more photos and more information about C. seifrizii.  Another possibility is Dypsis lutescens (Golden cane palm), a native of Madagascar.   Tamarisk or salt cedar trees, Tamarix sp. are invasive non-natives that also have the look of bamboo.   If none of these are the plant you are looking for and you can find a photo of the plant, please send it to us and we will do our best to identify it for you.  Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page for information on submitting photos.