En Espa—ol

Friday - May 15, 2009

From: Rochester , NY
Title: Propagating a magnolia by cuttings in Rochester, NY

QUESTION:

How can I start a magnolia snip from my already existing tree, to grow another one from it, like a starter to pass on to someone?

ANSWER:

What you are asking is how to propagate a woody plant by cuttings. We have found a website that can give you much better instructions than we could. It will help you decide what time of year to take the cuttings, how to care for them while they are rooting, and how to transplant them. The cuttings will not all "take" so be sure and do several.

North Carolina University Horticulture Information Plant Propagation by Stem Cuttings: Instructions for the Home Gardener.