Sunday - April 19, 2009

From: Martinez, CA
Title: Looking for Manzanita (Mt. Diablo variety)

QUESTION:

Hi, We live in the Alhambra Valley area; in the country between Martinez and Lafayette/Orina. Can you tell me where I can purchase Manzanita, preferably Mt. Diablo variety if possible? I've asked the local nurseries and am looked at as if I'm an alien. Regards, Wendell Cotton

ANSWER:

Please visit our National Suppliers Directory to find nurseries in your area that specialize in native plants.  Here are a few nurseries from the Directory that show manzanitas (Arctostaphylos spp.) in their lists:

1) For your location your best bet is probably Native Here Nursery of the East Bay Chapter of the California Native Plant Society.  They list Arctostaphylos manzanita (whiteleaf manzanita) that originated from Mt. Diablo.

2) Bay Natives in San Francisco lists several Arctostaphylos spp. for sale.

3) Las Pilitas Nursery in Santa Margarita and Escondido (not particularly close to you) have a large number of Arctostaphylos spp. listed.

4) Central Coast Wilds in Santa Cruz lists Arctostaphylos tomentosa (woolly manzanita).

5) You can find other nurseries in the Directory, some with webpages to view or telephone numbers to call, that may be nearer to you.  Additionally, Yerba Buena Nursery in Woodside, not in our Directory, lists several Arctostaphylos spp. for sale in your general area.