En EspaÑol

Thursday - May 12, 2005

From: Atlanta, GA
Region: Other
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Smarty Plants on vitex

QUESTION:

I recently purchased a vitex tree and I don't know anything about it other that it blooms. Can you tell me everything there is about this tree?

ANSWER:

The Common Chaste-tree or Lilac Chaste-tree (Vitex agnus-castus) is not native to North America. It was introduced from the Mediterranean regions of southern Europe, northern Africa and western Asia. Here are more photos and further information about the Vitex tree.

Compounds made from the roots, flowers, leaves, bark and dried fruits of the tree have been used since ancient times in treating "female" disorders. The species name, agnus-castus from the Greek, means chaste since it was thought by the Greeks to suppress sexual passion. You can read more about its history and uses as an herbal medicine.