En EspaÑol

Friday - March 27, 2009

From: Peachtree City, GA
Title: Native shrubs for wildlife santuary in Georgia
Answered by: Nina Hawkins

QUESTION:

We live south of Atlanta, GA and are trying to have our backyard certified as a Wildlife Sanctuary. Can you suggest native shrubs that thrive in partial sun, are habitats for bird and are deer resistant? Thank you.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants applauds your goal of turning your backyard into a certified wildlife sanctuary!  The selection of plants below should point you in the right direction on your search for partial-shade plants that provide habitat and food for birds, butterflies and other critters.  These plants are all native to Fayette or surrounding counties in Georgia and are also listed by the USDA as having a low probability for browsing by deer.  However, our experience has been that deer will eat almost anything if they are hungry enough.  For additional plant species that are deer resistant, you can check out our recommended species page and click on the Deer Resistant special collection.  You can then narrow your search for Georgia and desired plant characteristics or growing conditions.

Cornus amomum

Cornus florida

Euonymus americanus

Hibiscus moscheutos

Ilex glabra

Rosa palustris

Sabal minor