Peachtree City, GA
Plants for pool privacy from Peachtree GA
We currently reside in Georgia and have a pool surrounded by a fence. However, because our house is located on a hill, my neighbor on the left side can very easily still see my backyard and we can see...

Peachtree City, GA
Native shrubs for wildlife santuary in Georgia
We live south of Atlanta, GA and are trying to have our backyard certified as a Wildlife Sanctuary. Can you suggest native shrubs that thrive in partial sun, are habitats for bird and are deer resist...

Fayetteville, GA
Source of cotton seeds in Georgia
Where can I buy cotton seeds????

Union City , GA
Problems with non-native weeping willow
The trunk of my Weeping Willow tree has raised donut growths.The left base has decay. There is a large space between the base and the soil (no roots) and the wood is brittle. Large ants with a black ...

Newnan, GA
Non-native, non-invasive Thunbergia alata
I'm trying to find the proper name for Climbing Blackeyed Susan, or Blackeyed Susan Vine. We had one on a trellis and it was beautiful, but I'm told that it is an undesirable weed. Any info apprec...

Newnan, GA
Deer Resistant, Fast Growing Groundcover Suggestions for Georgia
Our driveway is 1/4 mile in length and is steep on both sides (one side up one side down). It currently has grass that our contractor planted using seed when we built our house. We are unable to cut t...

Moreland, GA
Problems with non-native Cleyera in Georgia
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I had a landscaper plant 4 Cleyera around my front porch. I have had them for about 9 years now and they are very hardy, each one being about 4 feet in width, 5 feet high ...

Forest Park, GA
Non-native Cape Honeysuckle, Tecomaria capensis
I am trying to find general information on the Cape Honeysuckle or "Tecomaria" bush/plant. Is is related to the actual Honeysuckle Plant? What is it's care, propogation, sun tolerance, water requ...

Griffin, GA
Controlling native chickasaw plum
How do we kill the chickasaw plum? We have an abundance and want to get rid of them.

Griffin, GA
Plant identification from Griffin, GA
We live in Georgia and we found a mystery plant growing next to our garage. It is a short tree with non-waxy, oblong, dark green leaves. The fruit or berries are not clustered and start out green but...

Griffin, GA
Plants for area around salt water pool
What are some plants that will grow around my salt water pool where there is some salt water runoff occasionally.

Griffin, GA
Are Smilax species toxic?
I have a plant that the agriculture department told me was similax. I have a severe allergic reaction to it, after digging up the roots (potato) and burning them. I had a feeling my lungs inside were ...

East Point, GA
Smarty Plants on dogwoods
I am interested in the worldwide distribution of the dogwood family/cornus. Specifically, I am interested in whether or not there are indiginous species on the Indian Subcontinent. Is there a resour...

Atlanta, GA
Potted non-native mimosas in the U.S.
We need I hope there is someone who could tell me where I could find potted mimosa plants in the US.

Atlanta, GA
Correct photos of Cynoglossum virginianum
I recently found some "wild comfrey" (Cynoglossum virginianum) growing in woodlands in Atlanta,GA. When I used the photos on Wildflower Center website to ID this plant, I found what appears to be t...

Atlanta, GA
Smarty Plants on vitex
I recently purchased a vitex tree and I don't know anything about it other that it blooms. Can you tell me everything there is about this tree?

Atlanta, GA
Native replacements for English ivy in Atlanta
What to plant instead of English Ivy in Atlanta, Georgia. We have a nice lot with trees in back of our lot. To protect our trees there I'm clearing out the ubiquitous English ivy (lots of gardens i...

Atlanta, GA
Non-invasive sun ground cover for Atlanta GA
I would like to find a non-invasive ground cover for zone 7 (Atlanta, GA) in full sun. I had a bed of ivy with daylilies on a slight slope. I have pulled up the ivy but want something that is not as i...

Atlanta, GA
Watering grass, before or after cutting it
Should I water my grass before or after cutting it, after it has not been watered in a few days along with dry times?

Atlanta, GA
How to prune Opuntia ellisiana in Decatur, GA.
Hi Mr SP--How do I go about pruning an Opuntia ellisiana? I have saws, newspaper, heavy leather gloves, goggles, etc. But my question is more about what section of the plant to cut. The base has de...

Atlanta, GA
Is Passiflora 'Purple Haze' a host to Gulf Frittilary butterflies?
Is the passion flower purple haze (pasionaria purple haze) a host plant to gulf frittilary butterflies as is the passiflora incarnata passion flower?