En EspaÑol

Friday - February 13, 2009

From: arlington, TX
Topic: Turf
Title: Las Vegas lawn grass for Dallas

QUESTION:

Dear Smarty Plants, Every time we go to Las Vegas I admire the beautiful grass in the lawns of most of the strip casinos. It looks like a fescue but it is just as beautiful on the hottest summer day as it is in the dead of winter. Can you tell me what this grass is and if will do well in the Dallas, TX area? Thank you

ANSWER:

The grass the casinos are using is likely artificial turf.  There are now fake grasses that look amazingly real.  Because water is at such a premium in the Las Vegas area, the local water authority has for some time been giving tax incentives to property owners who minimize their landscape water use.