Thursday - February 12, 2009

From: Madison , OH
Topic: Edible Plants
Title: Edible plants in northeastern Ohio

I am doing a project and i was wondering what are five native edible plants to the northeastern Ohio region. Also if you could tell the seasons they are available. Thank You,

Not only can we list five edible native plants of northeastern Ohio, but we can give you five from a single family, Rosaceae!

Amelanchier laevis (Allegheny serviceberry) fruits in the summer and can be eaten raw or dried like raisins.  Malus coronaria (sweet crabapple) produces small yellowish apples in the fall that are too tart to eat raw, but make good jelly and cider. Prunus americana (American plum) makes fruit in late summer that can be eaten right from the tree or cooked in a variety of ways.  Prunus virginiana (chokecherry) produces fruit too astringent to eat raw, but may be processed into jelly.  Rubus idaeus ssp. strigosus (grayleaf red raspberry) produces delicious fruit which ripens in summer and can be eaten raw or processed.