Mr. Smarty Plants - Source of seeds for Penstemon murrayanus

Wednesday - April 20, 2005

From: Kingwood, TX
Title: Source of seeds for Penstemon murrayanus

QUESTION:

Is it possible to obtain seeds of Penstemon murrayanus? I'd like to contribute to the propagation of this threatened species.

ANSWER:

The distribution for Scarlet beardtongue (Penstemon murrayanus) is limited to Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas, but it is listed as threatened only in Arkansas. A good way to find suppliers of native plants and seeds is to check the National Suppliers Directory on the Wildflower Center web page. You could also check for sources of native plants on the web pages of the Native Plant Society in each of these four states: Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas.