Mr. Smarty Plants - Information for constructing a butterfly observation building

Friday - December 19, 2008

From: Forest Hill, LA
Topic: Butterfly Gardens
Title: Information for constructing a butterfly observation building

QUESTION:

I am looking for information on the construction of an indoor butterfly observation building and am having no luck. Thought I would take a chance and ask you.

ANSWER:

Well, Mr. Smarty Plants can give you advice on plants for a butterfly center, but we aren't by any means experts on planning buildings.  I suggest you contact someone at the Cockrell Butterfly Center at the Houston Museum of Natural History, the Butterfly Pavilion in Westminster, Colorado, the Cecil B. Day Butterfly Center in Pine Mountain, Georgia or the Butterfly Rainforest of the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville, Florida.  Perhaps you could even visit the Cockrel Butterfly Center in Houston since it is relatively near Forest Hill, Louisiana. 

Visit the North American Butterfly Association webpage.  There is a wealth of information there and they have an extensive list of internet resources on butterflies.

Here are some links on our webpage for butterfly-related information:

Butterfly Gardening

Butterflies and Moths of North America

Ann and O. J. Weber Butterfly Garden