Sunday - December 07, 2008

From: Rosharon, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Legality of using Chinese tallow seeds for Christmas decorations

If tallow trees are on the noxious list, is it illegal to use the white berries for Christmas decorations?

Triadeca sebifera, Chinese tallow, is a native to Eastern Asia, and has become an invasive threat to ecologies, particularly in the Southeast and coastal plains. It is not only invasive, crowding out desirable native plants, but is potentially harmful to humans and animals because the berries and plant sap contain toxins. There is no law of which we are aware that prohibits use of the berries as Christmas decorations. However, we would not choose to employ plant materials known to be poisonous in that way. The possibility of the berries being accessible to children or pets would far outweigh the benefits.