En EspaÑol

Friday - April 08, 2005

From: Orlando, FL
Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: Health of pond cypress

QUESTION:

Is there a common reason pond cypress trees vary greatly in their apparent health in similar conditions? I have 7 of them on my property, only two look healthy, one died and fell down recently. The lot is undeveloped. I am observing many cypress trees all aroung here (central Florida) that have similar problems right next to very healthy trees. Do you know why and can anything be done?

ANSWER:

According to everything I can find, the pond cypress (Taxodium ascendens) has no serious pests or diseases, grows well in wet areas, in all kinds of soils and is even drought resistant. You can download a fact sheet in PDF format that expands on the horticulture of the pond cypress. Your best bet to determine the cause of the dying trees is to contact your county agent of the Florida Cooperative Extension Service.