Mr. Smarty Plants - Freeze-back of Hamelia patens in winter in Texas

Friday - October 03, 2008

From: Onalaska, TX
Topic: Pruning, Shrubs
Title: Freeze-back of Hamelia patens in winter in Texas

QUESTION:

Will the hamelia patens freeze back in the winter ?

ANSWER:

Hamelia patens (scarletbush) will die back to the ground in winter, but the roots will survive and sprout back up in spring in USDA Hardiness Zones 8 to 9. Onalaska appears to be in Zones 8a to 8b, so the plant will probably thrive there. If you do not have a very cold winter, it might not even die back, and would do well with some pruning before it begins to bloom. 

For more information see this Horticulture Update from Texas A&M Extension, Firebush (Hamelia patens) and pictures