Friday - August 15, 2008

From: San Luis Obispo, CA
Title: Vine for trellis in California

QUESTION:

What type of climbing flower/plant would grow best on a trellis in an alcove that receives morning sun from a south eastern direction? I live in San Luis Obispo, CA. I have had good luck with jasmine and poor luck with a potato vine.

ANSWER:

Here are 5 vines that are native to California and are commercially available that should work on your trellis:

Lonicera ciliosa (orange honeysuckle) and more photos and information

Lonicera hispidula (pink honeysuckle) and more photos and information

Calystegia macrostegia (island false bindweed) and more photos and information

Clematis lasiantha (pipestem clematis) and more information

Clematis ligusticifolia (western white clematis) and more photos and information

Lonicera ciliosa

Lonicera hispidula

Calystegia macrostegia

Clematis lasiantha

Clematis ligusticifolia