Saturday - August 02, 2008

Topic: Pruning, Shrubs
Title: Failure to bloom of Tecoma stans in Austin

We Planted a Yellow Esperanza shrub 2 years ago that was blooming when we purchased it. It bloomed very little last year and not at all this year. It looks very healthy and each year gets about 10 feet tall. It has very green leaves and when we prune it it develops 2 branches for every one we cut. How do we make this plant bloom?

Please see our previous answer on the same subject, also in Central Texas. Your problem is likely not transplant shock; however, the plant is probably still developing roots and getting the energy to bloom. If you are fertilizing it, especially with a nitrogen-heavy fertilizer like you would use on grass, stop. Most perennial plants need a few years of maturity before they are ready to bloom in earnest. Often, plant producers will force blooms on a plant to make it more saleworthy, but that doesn't mean it is ready to bloom on its own. Do check the drainage around the roots of your plant, although that doesn't sound like the problem. A little more patience and a little less fertilizer and we believe it will rise to bloom again.