En EspaÑol

Wednesday - July 23, 2008

From: Holiday, FL
Title: Florida shrub with tiny green pumpkin-like fruit

QUESTION:

I live in Central Florida and have a fast-growing shrub with long stems. The leaves are similar to sassafras and from a distance the red flowers resemble those of a geranium. It has pods that look like tiny green pumpkins. It is not ver cold-hardy, but grows back quickly when pruned.Any idea what it is?

ANSWER:

The fruits you describe sound like Eugenia uniflora (Surinam cherry), a native of South America, but its flowers are white, not red. If this isn't your plant, we would be happy to try to identify your plant if you would send us photos. Please visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page to read the instructions (under "Plant Identification") for submitting photos.