Mr. Smarty Plants - Is Douglas maple (Acer glabrum var. douglassii) native

Monday - June 02, 2008

From: Kooskia, ID
Region: Northwest
Title: Is Douglas maple (Acer glabrum var. douglassii) native

QUESTION:

Could you give me some information about Douglas maple? Moslty, I'm trying to find out if this plant is native or introduced to Idaho and/or U.S. Thank you.

ANSWER:

The Douglas maple (Acer glabrum var. douglasii) is native to western North America (including Idaho) and Canada. There seems to be some question whether it is native or introduced in Alaska. Here is more information from the National Park Service and from the US Forest Service.