Mr. Smarty Plants - Plants to keep children out of yard

Wednesday - April 23, 2008

From: EXETER, CA
Topic: Best of Smarty, Privacy Screening, Shrubs
Title: Plants to keep children out of yard

QUESTION:

I WANT TO PLANT SOMETHING ALONG A FENCE LINE TO KEEP CHILDREN OUT OF OUR YARD. NEEDS TO GROW FAST BUT NOT POISONOUS

ANSWER:

There are plants that would serve that purpose. They would all take time to grow and be expensive to purchase. Have you considered just putting in a fence? The cost might be more initially, but when you factor in watering and other care for the plants, it would probably even out. Also, what about when you sell your house? No family with children is going to want to buy a house with a child-unfriendly hedge around the yard. You live in a beautiful agricultural area, and Exeter sounds like a charming small town. Somehow, we just can't bring ourselves to recommend our wonderful native plants as a barrier. Perhaps you should contact the University of Calfornia at Davis Tulare County Extension Office for more local advice on a solution to your problem.