En Espa—ol

Tuesday - October 19, 2004

From: Flagstaff, AZ
Topic: Xeriscapes
Title: Flowering native plants for Arizona
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

I was wondering if you could help me? We are moving from California to Arizona, and I was wondering if you can tell me some flowering plants, or any plants that will thrive in the hot Arizona temperatures? (Besides cactus!)

ANSWER:

The Arizona Native Plant Society is a wonderful organization that you can count on. Browse their website for a chapter closest to you, as well as resources & further information to assist with native plant landscaping for your ecoregion. Also, if you have a hankerin' for the hard science, Northern Arizona University hosts a phylogenetic tree AND a biome map that assists with identifying the flora and ecoregions that make up the great state of Arizona. The forward thinking city of Scottsdale, AZ, has enacted ordinances allowing for development and conservation of native plant species. And finally, try the relevant resources provided by the Desert Botanical Garden. They provide a hotline, growing guides, and practical information for gardening in the desert.