En EspaÑol

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Flagstaff, AZ
Plants for butterflies, birds and bees at 7000 feet in Arizona
What are the best plants for feeding and sheltering bees, butterflies, and birds in/near Flagstaff AZ. We are at 7,000 feet elevation and I am finding it very difficult to create a backyard habitat.

flagstaff, AZ
Need help with canker in willows in Flagstaff, AZ.
We've got a lot of willows in high altitude desert conditions, irrigated. They've got canker and I want to know if there's anything I can paint on the pruning wounds when I go around trying to remo...

Flagstaff, AZ
Flowering native plants for Arizona
I was wondering if you could help me? We are moving from California to Arizona, and I was wondering if you can tell me some flowering plants, or any plants that will thrive in the hot Arizona tempera...

Flagstaff, AZ
Arrow weed
Is arrow weed (Pluchea serecia) shade tolerant? Do you have an on-line resource for native species?

Parks, AZ
Drought tolerant privacy plants for Flagstaff AZ
We need a fast growing drought tolerant tree that will grow in Flagstaff AZ/Parks AZ. Neighbors are hoarders and we want privacy fence to cover the mess. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sedona, AZ
Preserving century plant bloom stalk from Sedona AZ
I have the flower stalk from a century plant which I am using as a Christmas tree. Can you advise me as to what I should do to preserve it for future use? Should it be kept indoors or outdoors. Pro...

Sedona, AZ
Lightning protection of smooth bark cypress
I have been told that the smooth bark cypress stores a large amount of water at its base and if lightning strikes, it will explode and extinguish the flames. Could you tell me if this is a myth? I'...

SEDONA, AZ
Origins of the Name For Blackfoot Daisies
Can you tell me why blackfoot daisies are named “blackfoot”?

Sedona, AZ
Cupressus arizonica with central leader cut in Sedona, AZ
Will a healthy Cupressus arizonica continue to grow in its native habitat, in Arizona, once the central leader has been cut?

Sedona, AZ
Mediterranean Pines indigenous to Verde Valley AZ
Are the tall, thin Mediterranean/Pencil Pines growing in the Verde Valley in Arizona indigenous to the area? They are so plentiful, but are not identified as an indigenous evergreen. If not, how did...

Sedona, AZ
Privacy screen for Sedona AZ
I live In Sedona Az. A builder just built a house next to my house and the new house is ugly to look at. What plant or tree would grow fast and reach 18 foot in height fast. It can be about 5 to 6 foo...

Sedona, AZ
Low water hedge for Sedona, AZ
I'm looking for a shrub to plant along a 90' property line with my neighbor in Sedona, Arizona (high desert). Ideally, the shrub would grow to about 8' and would not require too much water. What wo...

Sedona, AZ
Plants indigenous to Sedona, AZ
I live in Sedona AZ and I want to plant indigenous plants in my garden. Is there a list of AZ native plants shrubs and trees that are indigenous to Sedona? If there is no list that is specific f...

Sedona, AZ
Identification of fragrant, white-flowered bush in Arizona
I'd like to identify a flowering bush which has white sweet-smelling flowers. It is growing in the Coconino National Forest in the area near the Airport vortex/Airport mesa in Sedona, Arizona. ...

Sedona, AZ
Preserving the agave bloom for decoration from Sedona AZ
I have an agave century plant which is starting to bloom. Is there some way I can preserve the flower as a decoration piece?

Chino Valley , AZ
Buffalograss (Bouteloua dactyloides) for horse pastures
Can Buffalo Grass be used for browse for horse pastures?

Prescott, AZ
Plant identifcation and wants to know about weeds
My son planted some seeds in pots before he left and I don't know if I am watering weeds/plants??? One plant has green & red (lateral) striped stalks with something on the end that to me from Texas ...

Prescott, AZ
Are peonies resistant to javelina and deer predation?
Are peonies resistant to javalina and deer predation in Prescott, AZ

Grand Canyon, AZ
Dfferences between Argemone arizonica and other Argemones
I am trying to find information about the differences between the Argemone arizonica which grows only in the Grand Canyon and the other Argemones which grow in the rest of the U.S. Do you have any...

Payson, AZ
Are Agave Seed Pods Poisonous
Are the seed pods, found in clusters, hanging from century plants(agave) poisonous to kids or dogs? They are large, light green, and shaped like fat bananas.

New River, AZ
What is sage-like plant in New River AZ?
I have a sage like looking plant growing wild in my yard. I live in the Sonora Desert. Its leaves are purple and once a year in spring it will bloom small blooms that are lavender. It grows 2 to 3 an...