Friday - March 07, 2008

From: Kamiah, ID
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Information about Rosa acicularis

QUESTION:

Hi: At your site under "Benefit" it is mentioned that the seeds, leaves bark and twigs of Rosa acicularis Lindl. can be fatally poisonous to humans and animals. None of my past or present studies have indicated such information of the plant being poisonous. Could you offer particular information about this toxicity and/or reference sites I might research? Many thanks for the wealth of information at your site.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks that the reported toxicity for Rosa acicularis (prickly rose) was mistakenly applied to the wrong plant. As far as we can determine, R. acicularis is non-toxic. In fact, we don't know of any species in the genus Rosa that has toxic properties. The fruits of this genus, rose hips, have been used for centuries by indigenous people for food and medicinal purposes. We have removed this statement from our Native Plants Database and we thank you for pointing out this inaccuracy so that we could correct it.