Thursday - January 03, 2008

Title: When do bluebonnets bloom in Austin

QUESTION:

When do Blue Bonnets bloom in Austin? We have someone who wants to come visit and see the Blue Bonnets and I want to tell them the right time of year.. Thanks!!

ANSWER:

The short answer is, depending on the rainfall and the winter/spring temperatures, bluebonnets can begin blooming as early as late February/early March. However, the peak of the bloom season is usually around the first weekend in April.

This is a question we get quite frequently so I am going to refer you to an in-depth answer from last year for more information about seeing wildflowers in the Texas Hill Country.

We hope that you will bring your friends to visit the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center when they are here to see the bluebonnets.

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis