Mr. Smarty Plants - Plants for privacy hedge in North Las Vegas

Monday - October 29, 2007

From: North Las Vegas, NV
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Plants for privacy hedge in North Las Vegas

QUESTION:

My lot is in North Las Vegas. Looking to plant something that will be a privacy hedge. Full sun with horrible soil. Local nursery suggested the following: Green Cloud and Gray Cloud Texas Sage, Feathery and Sickle Leaf Cassia, Arizona Rosewood and Pineapple Guava. I want fast growing and for it to grow to at least 5 ft high. Your recommendations please.

ANSWER:

Certainly, the natives, Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas sage) and Vauquelinia californica (Arizona rosewood), are both good choices. However, both Cassia artemisiodes (Feathery cassia) and Cassia phyllodinea (silvery, or sickle leaf, cassia) are native to Australia and, since our focus here at the Wildflower Center is on plants native to North America, we wouldn't recommend that you plant them. Additionally, Feijoa sellowiana (pineapple guava) is a non-native from South America and is also reported to be slow growing.

Here are three other native plants that would be suitable for a hedge and will grow in full sun and in poor soil:

Atriplex canescens (fourwing saltbush)

Cercocarpus montanus (alderleaf mountain mahogany)

Shepherdia argentea (silver buffaloberry)

Leucophyllum frutescens

Atriplex canescens

Cercocarpus montanus

Shepherdia argentea