Monday - October 22, 2007

Title: Non-native Gingko biloba in Austin

Does a Ginkgo biloba tree grow easily in the Austin area? Does it take extra care to keep it alive?

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is focused on the care and propagation of plants native to North America. The Ginkgo biloba is about as non-native as you can get. In fact, it is considered a living fossil. It was actually thought to be extinct, but was found in China, where it is believed monks may have kept it going for hundreds of years. Click on the link for a site that has all the information you could ever want about this unique plant.