Monday - October 08, 2007

Title: Winter expectations for Buffalograss (Bouteloua dactyloides)
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

I planted some buffalo grass (from seed) in April of this year. Iíve got a nice patch now, though itís starting to brown up some. Iím wondering what to expect from this patch over the winter- will it all go brown? Should I mow the patch at some point during the fall or winter so that new, green growth in the spring can grow up through the existing clumps? Thank you.

ANSWER:

It will turn brown with the onset of winter.  You will probably want to mow it to a height of 3-4 inches in late winter/early spring to remove the ragged old growth before the new growth gets started.  Otherwise, you don't really need to do anything with it over the winter.  It will start to green when the rain and warm temperatures come in the spring.