Thursday - August 23, 2007

From: Dripping Springs, TX
Title: Germination of golden dalea seeds

QUESTION:

I have collected some golden dalea seeds. I live west of Austin in caliche soil. How would one germinate these seeds? What time of year should I plant them? What kind of seed treatment? Should I scarify them? How long should I wait before they germinate?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants found this information about germinating Dalea spp. seeds in How to Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest by Jill Nokes.

"Daleas are easily grown from untreated seeds. Sow in early spring in a greenhouse or outdoors after all danger of frost is past. Dalea seeds germinate best in warm soil. Seedlings usually emerge within 1-3 weeks.

The seed flat or bed should contain well-drained soil, and care should be taken not to overwater. Seedlings may be transplanted to one-gallon containers when they are 6 inches tall."