Mr. Smarty Plants - Stage of maturity for redbud trees bloom

Tuesday - April 01, 2003

Title: Stage of maturity for redbud trees bloom
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

At what stage of maturity will Redbud trees bloom?

ANSWER:

Cercis canadensis (eastern redbud) commonly referred to as Redbud, is a fast growing, short-lived (30 to 40 years) small sized tree that can start to produce flowers as early as its 3rd year of growth. In general, your redbud might produce flowers on a consistent basis starting its 4th year as it gains height and girth. Feel free to browse info on Redbud and over 300 native Hill Country plants from our Native Plants Database, a service of our Native Plant Information Network.

Eastern redbud
Cercis canadensis

Eastern redbud
Cercis canadensis