Wednesday - July 18, 2007

From: Houston, TX
Title: Encouraging bloom on non-native Batwing Erythrina

QUESTION:

Hi! I have a Batwing Erythrina in the ground next to my driveway in full sun in Houston. It's nine years old and is about twenty feet tall, but it does not bloom. What can I do? Thanks for your sage advice, Mr. Smarty!

ANSWER:

The focus of research and the extent of our expertise is limited to those plant species native to North America. Your plant, Erythrina vespertilio, Batwing Coraltree, is a native of Australia. We do not know why your tree is not flowering. However, some plants produce flowers only after some stress. If your tree is getting lots of water and fertilizer, you might consider withholding one or both early in the growing season when it would normally initiate flower buds. This might be all of the impetus the tree needs to flower from then on.