Monday - June 25, 2007

From: Wimberley, TX
Topic: Septic Systems
Title: Bouteloua dactyloides to cover septic field in Texas

QUESTION:

I need plants that can be seeded or plugged to cover a septic field at a new home on Lake Travis. What about turffalo? Other suggestions?

ANSWER:

If the area for the septic field is in full sun, Turffalo, an improved variety of Bouteloua dactyloides (buffalograss) developed by Texas Tech University, would be an excellent choice. If you are dealing with lots of shade, however, you might consider one of the sedges that do well in part shade or shade, such as Carex planostachys (cedar sedge) or Carex texensis (Texas sedge).

Bouteloua dactyloides

Carex texensis