Tuesday - June 19, 2007

From: westlake, TX
Title: Quercus polymorpha or Mexican white oak
Answered by: Barbara Medford and Joe Marcus

On the Texas Oak Wilt Information Partnership website, they list a "Monterrey Oak" as one of the White Oaks (#3 in the FAQ section). I cannot find Monterrey Oak in your Explore Plants section; does it have another common name or what is the scientific name. I have a number of live oaks on my property, and am interested in finding other oaks that might be less susceptible to oak wilt. Any suggestions?

While widely known as Monterrey oak, Quercus polymorpha should probably be referred to as Mexican white oak or netleaf white oak. Apparently, the term "Monterrey" when associated with this species is a trade name. View this link to find the Mexican white oak in our Explore Plants section. Mexican white oak is indeed more resistant to oak wilt than others in the oak genus.

For more information on control and/or prevention of oak wilt visit the Texas Oak Wilt Information Partnership website,

Monterrey oak
Quercus polymorpha