Thursday - June 14, 2007

From: Helena, AL
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Houston plants adaptable to Birmingham, AL

QUESTION:

I have recently moved from Houston to Birmingham Al. I had a wildflower garden in my back yard. Would the same flowers work here as well? I would love to have the same beautiful colors here.

ANSWER:

Some of the same flowers that grew in Houston will perform beautifully in Birmingham - others, not so much. The climate in Birmingham is slightly damper, but the winters are significantly colder than you enjoyed in Houston. The consequence of this is that most tropical and some subtropical plants that thrived without freeze protection in Houston will be imperiled in Birmingham during frequent hard, winter cold-snaps.

Happily, many plants native to Houston are also native to Birmingham. Since these species are naturally adapted to both areas, they would be the ideal choices for your garden.