Friday - May 25, 2007

From: Round Rock, TX
Title: Is a permit needed to plant liveoaks on property or on easement

QUESTION:

My house is located behind 1431 in Williamson county My backyard faces 1431 hwy and the noise and view aren't pleasant. I'm trying to plant some live oaks behind the wall and, of course, some in my property. But should I get a permit from the city for this? There is a 25' Landscape, drainage, storm sewer & public easement behind and after that 200' wide right of way.

ANSWER:

There will probably no problem at all with planting trees on your own property outside of the easement. The one possible exception might be covenants of a homeowners association if your land is subject to them. You should contact whichever governmental entity is responsible for the highway right-of-way behind your property to find out about any planting requirements or restrictions they might impose.