Topic: Soils, Trees
Title: Soils for Acacia greggii and Bauhinia lunarioides
Answered by: Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

What kind of soil do you recommend for anacacia tree? I was stunned by the one blooming at Center. I have had one for years and it has not been happy. I figure it must be the soil.

ANSWER:

We are not sure if you are referring to an Acacia or an Anacacho Orchid tree so we will tell you a little about both. According to our Native Plant Database, Acacia greggii (catclaw acacia) prefers dry, caliche type, well-drained, sandy or rocky soils along with full sun. If you are referring to Bauhinia lunarioides (Texasplume) it also prefers a rocky, limestone soil. The orchid tree makes a gorgeous display with its silvery-gray bark and white flowers that resemble orchids. It does best when planted on the south side of a building, protected from winter winds.