Friday - April 06, 2007

From: Grapevine, TX
Title: Sources for Bouteloua dactyloides in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area

We live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Over the last few years our lawn has withered and now we are almost grassless. After researching we are considering planting Buffalo grass. However, after spending ages on the internet, we have been unable to find a place that preferably sells sod, or if not, the seed. Prefer not to purchase on line. Your assistance please on places to purchase. Thank you.

Bouteloua dactyloides (buffalograss) is an excellent choice. It requires little water and doesn't need to be mowed very often. You can search our National Suppliers Directory for nurseries or seed companies in your area that specialize in native plants. In a brief preliminary search I found Wichita Valley Landscape in Wichita Falls that listed buffalo grass for sale as plants. Native American Seed in Junction sells seeds of buffalo grass. They also offer a grass seed mix, Native Sun Turfgrass, that is a combination of buffalo grass and Bouteloua gracilis (blue grama). The North Central Texas Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas also offers a list of nurseries that specialize in native plants in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.