Mr. Smarty Plants - Source of article on Great St. Johns-wort (Hypericum ascyron)

Thursday - August 11, 2005

From: Ames, IA
Title: Source of article on Great St. Johns-wort (Hypericum ascyron)

QUESTION:

I found the following comment on your database when reading about Hypericum ascyron: Comments: The scattered distribution of this plant in Ontario is thought to match historical aboriginal encampments. (Ontario Native Plants 2002) Can you give me more information on where to obtain the article referenced as Ontario Native Plants 2002?? I can't seem to find any reference to this myself. Your time is appreciated,

ANSWER:

Ontario Native Plants is a nursery and landscape design company specializing in native plants located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The statement about Great St. John's-wort (Hypercum ascyron), was from their 2002 catalog. You can also find it in their 2003 catalog that you can download as a PDF file from their web page. Their web page also contains information to enable you to contact them by letter, e-mail, or telephone to learn where they got their information.

You might also like to check the Native American Ethnobotany database of the University of Michigan-Dearborn for more references to Native American uses of Hypercum ascyron.