Mr. Smarty Plants - Calyptocarpus vialis, Horseherb, for shady, mowable lawn

Friday - April 06, 2007

From: Graham, TX
Topic: Turf
Title: Calyptocarpus vialis, Horseherb, for shady, mowable lawn

QUESTION:

Graham, Texas, Heavily wooded. Too shady for St. Augustine grass. Need mowable ground cover near house. Have heard of something called horsewort, but not able to find anything about it.

ANSWER:

The plant you heard about is probably Calyptocarpus vialis, Horseherb or Straggler Daisy. It is a very good choice for shady areas and does not mind at all being mowed. Some consider it a lawn weed, but for shaded areas where grass does not grow well, it is probably our best native groundcover.