Mr. Smarty Plants - Ground cover for partly sunny, wet area in Cypress, TX

Monday - March 19, 2007

From: Cypress, TX
Topic: Groundcovers
Title: Ground cover for partly sunny, wet area in Cypress, TX

QUESTION:

I am in need of a ground cover to plant in an area close to our entryway. The area is shady to partly sunny, holds water in rainy weather, and has a shrub border. We are in Texas. Any ideas? Thank you.

ANSWER:

Here are three suggestions for a ground cover that should do well in your shady area that sometimes holds water:

Viola sororia (common blue violet)

Phyla nodiflora (Texas frogfruit)

Marsilea vestita (hairy waterclover) (or Marsilea macropoda (bigfoot waterclover))

Viola sororia

Phyla nodiflora

Marsilea vestita

Marsilea macropoda