Mr. Smarty Plants - Native plants toxic to horses

Friday - March 09, 2007

From: Harlingen, TX
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Native plants toxic to horses

QUESTION:

I would like to landscape with native plants (I live south of you in Harlingen, TX) but I am concerned some might be dangerous to my horses. Do you have a list of either safe native plants or native plants to avoid with horses? Thanks.

ANSWER:

There are several databases that address plants poisonous to humans and other animals. Here are three very good ones:

Cornell Poisonous Plants Informational Database
Indiana Plants Poisonous to Animals
Illinois Plants Toxic to Animals

There is also an excellent book, Toxic Plants of Texas: Integrated Management Strategies to Prevent Livestock Losses by Charles R. Hart and others, 2003, published by the Texas Cooperative Extension that gives plant descriptions and photographs, symptoms of poisoning by the plant, and management strategies for the plant.