Alamo, TX
Information on various plants from Alamo TX
Have you heard of the following plants: Butterfly Iris,Compact Nanpina, Red Dwarf Turks? I would like to know some details on the above plant: size, flowers?, drought tolerant, where to plant Thanki...

McAllen, TX
Latin name for botany mist in McAllen TX
What is the latin name or formal name of botany mist which is a Queen butterfly nectar source in the Rio Grande Valley?

McAllen, TX
Care of the non-native Aralias (Genus Polyscias)
Today I purchased a POLYSCIAS common name "Aralia" I was told that can be happy inside, little light. Please could you inform me how to take care: feeding, fertilizing, watering needs? Does it bl...

McAllen, TX
Wildflowers for an April wedding in McAllen TX
I live in McAllen Texas and plan to get married April 2011. My dream is to get married at my parents ranch. I visualize beautiful wildflowers and I am not sure what to plant and when. Any suggestion...

McAllen, TX
Saving non-native crape myrtles watered with salt water in McAllen TX
I have a crape myrtle plants that were accidentally watered with salt water from a purifier that was drained. They are dying and turning brown. What can I do to revive them?

McAllen, TX
Watering live oak trees from McAllen TX
What are the watering requirements for live oak trees in deep south Texas? How often and how many inches to be applied? One pop-up spray sprinkler spaced approximately fifteen feet away from each tr...

McAllen, TX
Pruning Lyreleaf Sage from McAllen TX
I planted a few Lyre Leaf Sage last year and they bloomed beautifully. I let them seed out and had a number of new plants show up this year. I have never cut the flower/seed stalks back and now that ...

McAllen, TX
Optimum pruning time for butterfly garden
I am planting a butterfly garden that I would like to be pretty as well as beneficial for butterflies. If I am going to have both host plants and nectar plants in the garden and the butterflies will b...

McAllen, TX
Different colors of Argemone spp. from McAllen TX
I took pictures of at least 5 colors of pricklepoppy today. Is this common to have so many colors in one area? How do I harvest the seedpods and when is the best time to do so?

McAllen, TX
Plants ants avoid from McAllen TX
Which native plants do ANTS avoid (are there?)? We have a big ant problem here. Thanks!

Weslaco, TX
Will roots of non-native Bottlebrush damage foundation in Weslaco TX
I have a bottle Brush tree planted 2 feet from a brick wall. The condo board told me to remove it for fear that it may crack the foundation of the wall. I don't want to remove it. I believe they are ...

Weslaco, TX
Trimming Butterfly Plants
I am looking for detailed information on trimming common butterfly plants: crucita, cenizo, sweet-stem, whitebrush, Mexican trixis, skeleton-leaf goldeneye, white plumbago, turk's cap, desert lantana...

Weslaco, TX
Comment from user on Smarty Plants answer
Dear Mr.S I received a very thorough answer to my question about trimming native butterfly plants and wanted to thank you. I see that Ann Van Nest answered the question. I intended to give the reply...

Weslaco, TX
Roses being attacked by spider mites
My roses are being eaten alive by spider mites. I read that this area of Texas has a huge problem with these devils! I've tried everything to kill them to no avail! Can you help me? Gratefully yours,...

Weslaco, TX
Death of Tecoma stans after heavy rain
I had two esperanza plants. They have been planted for about four months, this spring. They were blooming and growing. We had six inches of rain in five days and they began to wilt - and then they d...

Weslaco, TX
Propagation of Tournefortia volubilis
I am a State Park Host at Estero Llano Grande SP in Weslaco, TX and am looking for information on the Tournefortia volubilis, Googly-eyed vine. I would like to know if there is a best method for propa...

Edinburg , TX
April Wildflowers for South Texas
Can you tell me what wildflowers grow well in south Texas? I would like to plant in the fall for bloom in April. Is this possible?

Edinburg, TX
Plants for a bioswale in TX
Dear Mr.Smarty Plants, What kind of plants are best suited for a bioswale in Edinburg, Texas?

Edinburg, TX
Medicinal plants used on Hispanic ranches
Have you ever heard of a plant, possibly native to Texas or Mexico, called Drago? Or another called Greta? In a book on South Texas ranches after 1850, these are listed as the Spanish names for two ...

Edinburg, TX
Need tips for planting wildflower seeds in pots in Edinburg, TX.
Can you give me some tips for starting wildflower seeds in pots or trays, rather than outdoors? Is this even possible? Most instructions I have found are for seeding large areas. I want to get some p...

Edinburg, TX
Problems with Mexican Olive tree from Edinburg TX
My Mexican olive (anacahuita) shows no obvious signs of pest or disease, but over the last years has more and more dead limbs and smaller and smaller leaves. It's in a yard with a sprinkler system t...