Alice, TX
Freeze damage to non-native Alocasia portei in Alice, TX
Alocasia portei family (I think). I have a palm type plant with finger-like broad leaves that grows its "palm like leaves" at the end of a curving trunk. These leave I trim back as new ones grow in...

San Diego, TX
Young oak damaged by falling tree from San Diego TX
My neighbor's Palo Blanco tree was struck by lightning and fell over our fence and on to a young oak tree in our yard. We waited a few days to see if the neighbor would offer help, but he never did,...

Bishop, TX
Why are our Bluebonnets turning brown?
Our Texas Bluebonnets are turning brown and appear to be dying. We've had them going for 5 or 6 years and have never seen this. I found a few small worms on one plant but can't seem to find them a...

Robstown, TX
User comment on native grass mixes from Robstown TX
As a followup to my question on seed spreaders, native grass and prairie seed mixes seem a good fit for my location in far western Nueces County which is more semi-arrid than 30 miles away in Corpus w...

Robstown, TX
Use of hand-held seed spreader from Robstown TX
I am planting native turf grass and prairie grasses as part of a backyard restoration on my 1.6 acre home site. My problem is good seed dispersal for the chaffey grass seeds. Have you have any luck...

Odem, TX
Native plants that are dog-proof in South Texas
I live in Odem, Texas and would like to use only native plants in my front and backyard. I have two puppies who love to dig. What plants should I use that require minimal attention from me and will no...

Sinton, TX
Leaves of non-native crape myrtle browning in Sinton TX
Crepe myrtle tips of leaves are brown and curling up.

Sinton, TX
Wasps on live oaks from Sinton TX
Wasps on my live oak trees. What is attracting them? Does this hurt the tree?

Corpus Christi, TX
Cenizo dropping leaves from Corpus Christi TX
Leucophyllum frutescens:I planted a Texas sage hedge in September of 2012. One of the plants is dropping its leaves. It is situated at the corner of an L-shape at the end of drive and corner of road. ...

Corpus Christi, TX
Should an agave bloom stalk be cut as soon as it flowers from Corpus Christi TX
My agave plant is flowering, with a stalk approaching 12 feet tall. Should that stalk be cut once it flowers? I am concerned about wind catching it and pulling the whole plant out of the ground. I ...

Corpus Christi, TX
Non-native oleander failing to thrive in Corpus Christi
I live in South Texas (Corpus Christi). My husband planted Red Oleander in partial to full sun about 1 1/2 weeks ago. They are watered by our sprinkler system. They have recently started to bloom, ...

Corpus Christi, TX
Native grasses for South Texas Coast
Grasses S. Texas Coast. Hello! I love all of the information available in your database Mr. Smarty Plants database (as well as the rest of the site) and find it quite useful on many fronts. My...

Corpus Christi, TX
Small tree with blossoms for screen in Corpus Christi, Texas
We are looking for something to plant along a back fence for privacy but don't want it to be a bush. What might work like a crepe Myrtle in the Corpus Christi area that would blossom towards the to...

Corpus Christi, TX
Evergreen plant to grow to 6 feet tall with flowers and non-toxic
I live in South Texas, and in town. I am looking for plant that grows taller than 6 feet and is non toxic to people and pets. Would also like for it to be pest and disease free or minimal. Need it ...

Corpus Christi, TX
Removing grassy weeds from cactus garden in Corpus Christi TX
How do you get grassy weeds out of a cactus garden? I don't want to use roundup around the cacti? Can you recommend a herbicide that won't harm the cactus?

Corpus Christi, TX
Supplies for green roof from Corpus Christi TX
Where do you buy your expanded clay or shale, your decomposed granite and your rice husks for a green roof?

Corpus Christi, TX
Purchase sources of Buffalograss from Corpus Christi TX
I've heard a lot of good things about Buffalograss, but no one in my area seems to carry it. One grower actually told me it didn't grow well here and recommended St. Augustine Floratam instead. Is ...

Corpus Christi, TX
Non-native Norfolk Pine suffering in Corpus Christi TX
About ten yrs. ago I transplanted my Norfolk Pine into the ground in my backyard. With all the frosty weather of 2010/2011 the Spring brought a browning/dying of a lot of the Norfolk Pines in this are...

Corpus Christi, TX
Small native trees/shrubs for Corpus Christi, TX
Which small native trees or tall shrubs would do well in full sun in Corpus Christi for privacy along a fence line? Blooms are a bonus and evergreen is preferred.Searches on the website aren't produc...

Corpus Christi, TX
Plants under an oak tree from Corpus Christi TX
My project: To grow white turk's cap under an old oak tree I first planted St. Augustine sod this spring because we had many oak suckers around the tree. We mixed new soil and compost, and laid the ...

Corpus Christi, TX
Are Rhododendrons and Mountain Laurels native to the Texas/Mexico Border?
I'm trying to determine whether Rhododendrons, azaleas and mountain laurel grow around the Texas/Mexican border. Are they native to this region?