Springfield, KY
Plants for pool area in Kentucky
We live in central Kentucky and have a backyard pool that desperately needs some landscaping. I would like plants that don't drop a lot of leaves or "trash". I'd like a list of great poolside pl...

bardstown, KY
Deer resistant vines for Kentucky
Is there a vine I can grow on my garden fence to deter deer?

Parksville, KY
Identification of alien-looking plant
I have a plant that grows 4-5 feet tall, it has pretty "alien looking" flowers with "pods" under flower, and marijuana looking leaves and smell. My neighbor gave me a start last year, and it has ...

Hodgenville, KY
Problems with non-native petunias from Hodgeville, KY
Planting petunias again in a house border bed.. It has been a tradition for 30+ years to plant the small upright petunias in this particular bed. It started as a Mothers Day gift to my Grandmother, ...

Lawrenceburg, KY
Getting rid of Adams needle (Yucca filamentosa)
My friend is changing her flower beds around and is wanting to eliminate an Adam's needle that has been there for several years. She has already dug it up and now is trying to get rid of all the new...

Lancaster, KY
Identification of orange hydrangea-like flower
I am trying to identify a tree...It is a tree like bush if that makes any sense...It has tree limbs and it is bushy like a bush...I thought it might be a hydrangea bush that grows straight up instead ...

Radcliff, KY
Identification of plant from wildflower mix in Radcliff KY
I bought a wildflower mixture from local store; after planting, there is a 2 ft bush or plant with flowers that are yellow, and small like those on a cantaloupe, leaves that look like a watermelon, bu...

Fairdale, KY
Comment on Doug Shermans photography
This is actually not a question. I just wanted to comment on Doug Sherman's photographs. I am working on a native garden presentation and his pictures are amazing. I love the way he captures the f...

White Mills, KY
Non-blooming toad lily in Kentucky
I have had a toad lily for three years and it has never bloomed. What do I need to do?

Crestwood, KY
Stabilizing a steep slope in KY
We are building a new home and have a very steep hill behind the home. Our highlift operator just cleared it off - I would say about 15 to 20 feet in height and at least 150 feet in length. What wou...

Crestwood, KY
Why do some plants resprout in Spring from Crestwood KY
I am a 5th grade student at Crestwood Elementary School; and one of my classmates came up with an excellent question that I can not answer. Here it is: Why do some plants (like bulbs) resprout in ...

Lexington, KY
Need a perennial plant for a cemetery plot in Lexington, KY.
What type of perennial plants to place on a cemetery plot in Lexington, KY. Receives afternoon sun.

Lexington, KY
Storm damage to native sweet bay magnolias in Kentucky
Can you please share information on storm damage to sweet bay magnolias; if the top is broken off can the tree maintain its natural shape or will the sides begin to grow more than the top; i.e., growt...

Lexington, KY
Blooming challenges with oakleaf hydrangea and bittersweet vine in KY
1. I cut back my oak leaf hydrangea last fall and it did not bloom this past year. Problem? 2. I have 3 yr old male/female bittersweet plants growing heartily, but no berries. Problem? Thank you!

Lexington, KY
Cold hardiness of Liatris bulbs
I live in Lexington KY - This spring I planted Liatris or Blazing Stars. Should I take up the bulbs and replant in spring or leave them in the ground?

Eminence, KY
Identity of plant in Kentucky with fuzzy grayish-green leaves
I would like to know about a plant that I do not know what it is. I had this plant just come up in my flowerbed, that looked like a tobacco plant but the leaves looked like a lambs ear plant. It was ...

LaGrange, KY
Wintering over an Angel Trumpet in Kentucky
I have an Angel Trumpet on my deck in LaGrange,Ky -Can I plant it out in the yard now or do I have to take it in the house for the winter- It is 5 feet tall and I have no room in the house! Help!-Than...

Louisville, KY
Care for non-native Hibiscus syriacus (Rose of Sharon)
I am moving into a new home and have been told that the two plants in my front yard are called Hearts of Sharon. I need to know how to care for them and when and how to prune them so that they dont gr...

Louisville, KY
plant identification
I don't know if this plant is native, but it is a volunteer. It is a spiny , cane producing bramble . It produces tight clusters of inconspicuous fluffy reddish pink flowers about a centimeter acros...

Louisville, KY
Turf grass for part-time home from Louisville KY
We have a small yard at a remote location with cistern water, and need a turf grass for a yard, clay soil, which I am willing to amend. It will receive sporadic attention as my husband and I do not l...

Louisville, KY
Evergreen plants safe for horses in Louisville, Kentucky
I have a horse farm in Louisville, Ky. I want to plant evergreen plants along the walls in front of the horse barns. What types of plants are not toxic to horses can I use? Thank you so much for all y...