A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Freeport, PA
When the bluebonnets bloom
Can you tell me when the bluebonnets are in bloom?

Freeport, PA
Non-toxic plants for dog yard from Freeport PA
I'm looking for wildlife-friendly native plants that aren't toxic to dogs. I have a place for some small shrubs and/or flowers. And a climbing vine that I could train on a trellis would work espec...

Tarentum , PA
Indoor lantana tree dropping leaves
I purchased a lantana tree,a lantana hybrid that is only tolerant to 32 degrees. We are zone 5 so I brought it indoors and it only gets the morning sun, and 85%of the leaves have fallen off. The leav...

Ford City, PA
Conservation status of Lathyrus venosus (Veiny pea)
The Wild Pea (Lathyrus Venosus Muhl) 1) What's being done to preserve them 2) When were they placed on the endangered species list 3) How many are left

Kittanning, PA
Native flowers for September wedding in Kittanning PA
I am planting flowers for a wedding on September 17th 2010. What flowers bloom best. Looking for blues,whites and pinks.

Allison Park, PA
Deer-resistant plants for a steep hillside in Allison Park PA
What do you recommend for a steep hillside, mostly shade and acidic? The deer have eaten everything except the weeds.

Butler, PA
Privacy screen shrubs for Butler PA
Here is what I want in a bush: native to Western Pa.(Southern Butler County), appropriate for a horse pasture,fast growing, not too aggressive (I will mow around it regularly and can prune occasionall...

Butler, PA
First to Bloom in Western PA
What spring wildflower is consistently among the first to bloom in Butler, PA?

Butler, PA
Non-toxic, non-invasive native flowers for horses
Hi I have a couple areas in and bordering horse pastures that I would like to plant with native flowers. I can find lists of toxic flowers but not non toxic native ones. Id like non -toxic non-invas...

Mars, PA
Identification of a vine with thorns and blue berries.
> Hello, > We have acreage in Butler County, PA. I recently discovered a vine that I can't identify. It's has many small spines all over the stem, then very large and stiff thorns. It has dark gr...

Monroeville, , PA
Plants to cover rock wall in Pennsylvania
Please recommend plants that I could use to plant on the (full sun) slightly sloped ground space above a 3 foot high, 20 foot long unattractive stone wall that would grow over and down to cover the wa...

Murrysville, PA
Looking for a tree not toxic to horses in Pennsylvania.
I'm sending a tree as a gift and I need to know what I can get that is non toxic to horses. Can you please suggest a few.

Pitcairn, PA
Native Edible Plants of Pennsylvania Books
What is the best book that you know of for finding wild plant edibles in Pennsylvania?

Pitcairn , PA
Clarification of question from Pitcairn PA
What is the best site and book for wild stables in Pennsylvania?

Pittsburgh , PA
Plants for steep slope in Pittsburgh PA
I have a similar question to one from SC. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. We have a steep slope behind a newly built in pool. What type of plants can I put on the hillside to hold the soil. It gets a ...

Pittsburgh, PA
Deer-resistant groundcover under pine trees
what kind of ground covering can be planted under pine trees (acid soil) that the deer will not eat and will not attract bees?

Pittsburgh, PA
Transplanting a Century Plant in Pennsylvania
When is the best time to transplant a Century Plant?

Pittsburgh, PA
Cinnamon scented plant growing along Pennsylvania rivers
I've walked along both the Youghiogheny and Monongahela Rivers around my hometown and I've noticed moments at which time I would smell the strong, sweet aroma of cinnamon. Given the riverside envir...

Pittsburgh, PA
Differentiating between Spiraea betulifolia and Spiraea japonica
How can I tell the difference between Spiraea betulifolia var. corymbosa (an imperiled species) and Spiraea japonica (an invasive species) in the wild? They both seem to be the same size, color, habi...

Pittsburgh, PA
Non-native and/or hybridized shrubs in Pittsburg PA
I planted 2 boulevard cypress pom pom trees last year in my front yard in the clay conditioned soil. We dug the tree holds according to the planting instruction and filled some sand in the bottom for ...

Pittsburgh, PA
I love around Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, and I saw a strange plant. It has a soft green outer shell, a harder thinner shell inside, points, but aren't pointy, and a white substance out of the stem when...