Carson City, NV
Habiturf lawn in Carson City, NV
I planted habiturf just south of Reno NV May 5. First two months no or little germination because nite temps too cold. Now doing ok except battling purslane and redstem filaree.. SO, I notice bare/spa...

Incline Village, NV
Laws pertaining to sale of poisonous plants
Are there any laws pertaining to the sale of poisonous plants. do they have to be labeled as poisonous by law?

South Lake Tahoe, CA
Plant identification for plant near Lake Tahoe
Looking to figure out what this plant is: grows along water ways, moist areas in Lake Tahoe. Looks tropical. Only seen small versions of it but it looks like miniature bamboo with a softer stem and br...

South Lake Tahoe, CA
Native alternatives for Japanese maple
Hi, I am a landscaper trying to create a landscape in a shaded area with no sun. The person likes a Acer palmatum, but I am not sure it will grow there. We live in South Lake Tahoe. So I know of some ...

RENO, NV
Want a vine, non-toxic to dogs, for Reno, NV.
I want a non toxic (to dogs) vine for Reno, NV

Fallon, NV
Identification of shrub/small tree with small purple fruit
Hi! I have a tree/bush that has come up on its own in the backyard. This year it set what looks like small purple plums. Is there any chance that they might be poisonous?

Placerville, CA
Disease and soil disturbance effects on Pacific madrone
I have a couple acres, here in Northern California Sierra Nevada foothills. My property has many, many trees - quite a few are the beautiful (yet messy!) Arbutus menziesii, or Pacific Madrone. Some ...

Diamond Springs, CA
Trimming oak threatening fence in California
I live in Diamond Springs,California,I have a large oak tree growing between my neighbors' house and mine. A large branch is cracked and in danger of falling on my fence,I would like to lighten it up...

Nevada City, CA
Dodder, rootless, leafless, parisitic twining plants
Hello, I have been studying wildflowers in California for many years. Yesterday I came across a surprise and I am thus far unable to identify it. As it is raining today, I cannot get a photo, but I...

Pine Grove, CA
Dill-like plant in veggie garden in California
I have a plant that appeared in my veggie garden. Looks like dill in spring when green, but the leaves smell more like turpentine! Now, 4-5 foot tall, brown, it produces lots of small, oval - not cr...

Pine Grove, , CA
Smarty Plants wild sweet pea
We were asked if the seed pods of the wild sweet pea are edible. (California)

Glencoe, CA
Trees to plant around horse corrals
I would like to know what types of trees would be good to plant around my horse corrals.

Auburn, CA
Discouraging rattlesnakes in northern California
Searching for information re: managing your garden to discourage snakes, especially rattlesnakes. I live in northern California and we have many. I found one of your articles, but the link to an U. of...

Mountain Ranch, CA
Smarty Plants on Wildflowerology
I know there is a word for everything, but I can't find the offical word for the study of wildflowers. Wildflowerology just doesn't sound right. Can you help?

El Dorado Hills, CA
Non-native blue potato bush in El Dorado Hills CA
I have two blue potato bush topiary planted in my front porch in a very big planter. It's getting a full afternoon sun. I am wondering why they are losing their leaves??? Am I overwatering them??? Al...

Dobbins, CA
Shrub to scrren house from dust from gravel road
HI: We live in the foothills of Dobbins, California (2 hours North of Sacramento, Ca). I live on a gravel dirt road with traffic that goes about 45 miles an hour. When they drive by our house it lo...

Granite Bay, CA
Changing color of crape myrtle blooms
I have 5 well established crape myrtle trees whose blooms are a very light lavender/pink color. I would like to know if there is any way to deepen or change the color of the blooms. I would prefer a m...

Folsom, CA
Need tree suggestions for a long, narrow strip in Folsom, CA.
I live in Folsom, Ca. I have a long strip (50') of planting area about 2.5' wide at the top of a retaining wall to the fence behind it. I would like to plant alternating (2) trees down this strip to...

Folsom, CA
Folsom CA Wall-cover
I live in Folsom, CA and I have an ugly cinder block wall that I want to cover, I want something that is low maintenance and that is going to grow and spread into my grass. The only one i can really t...

Rocklin, CA
Non-native banana plants dying back in Rocklin CA
I bought a home last July in Rocklin, CA that had several banana plants growing in the yard. They died back during the winter frost. We pruned them back to the ground and placed mulch over the top. ...

Lincoln, CA
Small tree for Northern California backyard
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I'm looking for a small tree for backyard (west side of house). I'm replacing a Calif.Laurel which is not doing well because it is planted on a downward slope and gets too m...