A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Palm Desert, CA
Growing Magnolia trees in Palm Desert, CA.
Will magnolia trees grow in the Palm Desert/Indio, CA area?

Palm Desert, CA
Flowering vine for shade in Southern California
Flowering climbing plant for shade in Palm Desert, CA.

La Quinta, CA
Plants for a nursing home resident from LaQuinta CA
I take care of an elderly woman with dementia. She is in a nursing home and she's always LOVES flowers and plants. Do you have any suggestions for potted outdoor blooming plants for the summer in...

La Quinta, CA
Difficulty identifying/finding a plant
I have been advised that the Calandria (sic) is a good plant to cover a cement wall surrounding our home in La Quinta, CA. I cannot find such a plant on line. Can you assist? I want to entirely cov...

La Quinta, CA
Looking for source of wildflower seeds in Southern California
I'm looking for a source of wildflower seed--a mix of annuals and perennials--for my desert location of La Quinta, CA

La Quinta, CA
Will wisteria grow in LaQuinta CA?
I have moved to the desert, near Palm Springs, CA from Omaha NE where I was an avid gardener. I would like to know if wisteria will grow in this environment, with temps up to 120 several weeks each su...

La Quinta / Palm Desert, CA
Privacy screening shrubs from La Quinta CA
I need a solid row of screen tree / shrubs that are at least 10 feet (prefer 12) tall and can be kept trimmed to a narrow (6 foot or less?) width. Will be planted against a 6' cement wall facing west...

Indio, CA
Removal of pods when pruning Tecoma stans
When pruning Tecoma stans for growth and shape control,should I cut off the pods?

Palm Springs, CA
Trimming damaged leaves on agaves
Some of the leaves on my agaves are damaged. Can I cut them off? If yes, how can I prevent the wound from becoming infected? Thanks.

Palm Springs, CA
Privacy hedge for Palm Springs CA
Dear Mr. Smarty Pants I have a 6 foot block wall, and my house is elevated, and I need a privacy hedge or tree (even flowering) to create more privacy. I do not want to use Ficus as I hear they can d...

Joshua Tree, CA
National Events Calendar
Where is the link to the National Events Calendar? I would like to submit two events for California.

Aguanga, CA
Determining best time to harvest deer grass seeds in California
When is the best time to harvest deer grass seeds at about 4,000 feet in southern Riverside County California??

Aguanga, CA
Native plants and possible poisonous plants in Aguanga, California
I am in the process of moving to Aguanga California. I am interested in knowing what the native plants are in that area. Are they poison to animals and kids?

Aguanga, CA
Evergreen shrub/small tree for screen in southern California
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants - I would like to find an evergreen hedge, ~15-20' (or so) to screen a busy road (noise and visual). I'm zone 8b - 92539 (close to) - light snow in winter (to -25) and can ge...

Aguanga, CA
Trees native to Anza Valley California
What are the best trees to plant in Aguanga, California?

Aguanga, CA
Origin of sticky, smelly substance on dog in Southern California
I just took my dog out (mid August) in Aguanga, CA (high desert) and, after coming back in, noted that his feet and legs were covered in a very sticky substance that STINKS - there is some kind of pla...

Yucaipa, CA
Preventing seed production in non-native chinaberry in Yucaipa CA
You were just asked about "keeping almonds from producing" I actually found your site to ask how to keep a chinaberry tree from producing its berries. I am considering renting a commercial property ...

Temecula, CA
Water-wise plants for clay soil in southern California
My yard is clay. I'm removing turf to put in water-wise plants and bushes. I need some low growing bushes and medium height bushes that will grow in clay and that will stay green in the summer. Hopef...

Temecula, CA
Problem with non-native bower vine (Pandorea jasminoides)
I live in Temecula, CA I have grown pink bower vines before with great success. I recently purchased 2 bower vines and planted them on each side of a trellis in full sun. They flower but do not grow...

Temecula, CA
Privacy screen from Temecula CA
I live in Temecula and need a fast growing tree by our pool that is good to block neighbors house.

Temecula, CA
Replacement for non-native wisteria in Temecula CA
We recently moved into a house that has a Wisteria bush that has taken over the patio cover. I wish to take it out because it is so messy and looks bad when it is dormant. I am trying to figure out ...