Monday - November 26, 2012

From: Hillsboro, TX
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Groundcovers, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Source for Dichondra from Hillsboro TX

QUESTION:

Where can I get dichondra and info about it?

ANSWER:

There are 4 species of the genus Dichondra native to North America; in addition, all 4 are native to Texas: Dichondra argentea (Silver ponyfoot), Dichondra brachypoda (New mexico ponysfoot), Dichondra carolinensis (Carolina ponysfoot) and Dichondra recurvata (Oakwoods ponysfoot). Of these, silver ponyfoot is our personal favorite, and it is sold at the semi-annual Plant Sales at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Follow this plant link Dichondra argentea (Silver ponyfoot) to get more information from our webpage on the plant. At the bottom of that page is a link to Google on the plant where you can find still more information. It is a low-growing, silver-tinted, evergreen plant that does best in sun (6 hours or more of sunlight a day) or part shade (2 to 6 hours a day). The leaves really are a silvery green ("argentea") and extremely attractive.

You will probably not find these plants for sale in large nurseries and home improvement garden departments, so you need to locate a source (if you cannot wait until April for the next Plant Sale). Go to our National Suppliers Directory, put your town and state or just your zip code in the "Enter Search Location" box, and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed suppliers and consultants in your general area. Each has contact information so you can call or e-mail and get directions to their locations and find out if they have the plant you want in stock, or will.

Silver ponysfoot
Dichondra argentea

Carolina ponyfoot
Dichondra carolinensis

Oakwoods ponysfoot
Dichondra recurvata