Friday - November 09, 2012

From: Dale, TX
Topic: Planting, Transplants, Trees
Title: Freeze-resistant palms for Central Texas

QUESTION:

I live in Lytton Springs just north of Lockhart. What is a good hardy palm that I can get that will grow without the worry of freeze?

ANSWER:

There are two cold-tolerant palm species native to Texas.  Sabal mexicana (Mexican palm) is found along the lower Rio Grande.  Like all palms, it grows slowly, but ultimately can reach 50 feet in height.  Sabal minor (Dwarf palmetto), on the other hand, only grows to about 5 feet and is found in Central Texas.  Sabal palmetto (Cabbage palmetto) is a native of the southeastern U. S. coast, and Washingtonia filifera (California fan palm) grows in desert canyons of California.  These are described in a useful web site describing palms suitable for the Dallas area. Some non-native palms are also listed there, along with tips on cultivation of palms.

A variety of palms can be purchased at Central Texas nurseries, as listed on this Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center web site.  Images of the U.S. native palms are shown below.

Texas palm
Sabal mexicana

Texas palm
Sabal mexicana

Dwarf palmetto
Sabal minor

Cabbage palmetto
Sabal palmetto

California fan palm
Washingtonia filifera