Friday - September 14, 2012

From: Albany, DE
Region: Northwest
Topic: Plant Lists, Ferns, Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs, Trees
Title: Plants for streambank area in Oregon

QUESTION:

I am ready to replant a streambank area with native plants..what do you recommend for the Willamette Valley in Oregon? Thanks much!

ANSWER:

Plant Oregon, a nursery in Talent, Oregon that specializes in native plants, has an article, Wetland and Riparian Zones, that list plants—mostly natives—that are species common to that setting.  Here are some native plants from that list that are found in the Willamette Valley:

TREES

Acer circinatum (Oregon vine maple).  Here are photos and more information from Washington Native Plant Society.

Alnus rubra (Red alder).  Here are photos and more information from the Native Plant Guide, King County, Washington.

Fraxinus latifolia (Oregon ash).  Here are photos and more information from Woodbrook Native Plant Nursery in Gig Harbor, Washington.

Thuja plicata (Western arborvitae).  Here are photos and more information from the Native Plant Guide, King County, Washington.

SHRUBS

Holodiscus discolor (Cream bush).  Here are photos and more information from Portland Nursery.

Lonicera involucrata (Twinberry honeysuckle).  Here are photos and more information from Pacific Northwest Wildflowers.

Sambucus racemosa (Red elderberry).  Here are photos and more information from Seven Oaks Native Nursery.

Spiraea douglasii (Hardhack spiraea).  Here are photos and more information from Oregon State University.

Gaultheria shallon (Salal).  Here are photos and more information from the Washington Native Plant Society.

HERBACEOUS PLANTS

Dicentra formosa (Pacific bleeding heart).  Here are photos and more information from Native Plant Guide, King County, Washington.

Juncus effusus (Common rush).  Here are photos and more information from Missouri Botanical Garden.

Carex obnupta (Slough sedge).  Here are photos and more information from Seven Oaks Native Nursery.

Pteridium aquilinum (Western bracken fern).  Here are photos and more information from Southwest Colorado Wildflowers.

Maianthemum dilatatum (False lily of the valley).  Here are photos and more information from Seven Oaks Native Nursery.

You can choose other plants on that list and you can also search for possibilities on our Oregon Recommended page.  Use the NARROW YOUR SEARCH option in the sidebar to limit the list to plants that grow in "Moist..." or "Wet..." soil.   For both this Oregon Recommended list and the one from Plant Oregon, you should check to see if the plant is found in the Willamette Valley.   You can do this by going to the species page in our Native Plant Database—enter the botanical name to find the plant in question and then scroll to the bottom of the species page to find the "ADDITIONAL RESOURCES" area.   Click on the USDA Plants link there and when you reach the USDA Plants Database page, click on Oregon on the Distribution Map.   That will give you a map showing the counties where the plant occurs.

Ocean spray
Holodiscus discolor

Twinberry honeysuckle
Lonicera involucrata

Twinberry honeysuckle
Lonicera involucrata

Red elderberry
Sambucus racemosa

Red elderberry
Sambucus racemosa

Hardhack spiraea
Spiraea douglasii

Salal
Gaultheria shallon

Pacific bleeding heart
Dicentra formosa

Common rush
Juncus effusus

Western bracken fern
Pteridium aquilinum

Western bracken fern
Pteridium aquilinum

False lily of the valley
Maianthemum dilatatum